December 9, 2006

A Play A Day #240

...


Cast:
Shane
Miriam

Setting: Sofa.


(Lights up. It's all about the pauses.)

Shane: But...

Mirriam: What?

S: I just...

M: What?

S: I have so much to say, and...

M: I believe you, Shane. Why don't you say it?

S: Well, I really am trying to think about...

M: Your life? Us? Outer space? C'mon, Shane.

S: I know, Miriam, but I...

M: Don't do that anymore, okay. Let's start with that.

S: With...

M: What?

S: Yes, and...

M: Alright, Shane, stop it. Finish your thoughts.

S: I would but I'm...

M: Worried?

S: No, I'm...

M: Passive-aggressive?

S: I don't know why you might think...

M: That something is wrong with you?

S: No, that I, well...

M: You're not well anymore, Shane. Something is going on.

S: Not really, but...

M: Arrrggghhh!! That's enough! You promised me, Shane!

S: It's not that I can't...

M: Stop it! Stop it! Stop ellipsesing! I hate it! I hate it!

S: Honey, don't be...

M: It's the way you talk, Shane, and you know it! We've gone through this before. Dot dot dot, everything you say, is a partial thought followed by dot dot dot.

S: Well... but... no... if...

M: Please, please, please stop. Talk to me. Tell me what's on your mind. Let it out! I love you, Shane. We're supposed to get married, but I don't know if I can stand these partial sentences. This is communication without the "co". Please stop, Shane.

S: I... well I think I...

M: Nooo!! Damnit, Shane, if you can't stop, then I'm going to have to reconsider this engagement! You never used to be like this; not when we were dating, not during this whole year before the wedding. What happened? These last four weeks, you and your speech patterns have been very difficult for me to both understand and stomach. Was it something I did?

S: Of course...

M: It was?

S: No, I just meant that...

M: Listen, Shane. If you can't even commit to a full sentence, how are you going to commit to me?

S: Miriam, if you'll just try to...

M: Change or else!!

S: (long pause) I will.

M: Yes? Yes? Yes! You did it! It was a very short sentence, but it's a start! (hugs and kisses him) C'mon now. Try a bit more. Three or four words, but a complete thought. You can do it, sweetheart!

S: (long pause, great effort) I can do it.

M: (gleeful clapping) Oh, Shane! You're back! I wish I knew why you drifted, but I'm happy just knowing that you're back. (more hugs)

S: I'm so happy to be back with --- (this pause has be somehow acted differently than Shane's ellipses's pauses, maybe make it more abrupt, more agonized)

M: What was that? Shane!? What did you just do?

S: I'm not really ---

M: Are those hyphens!?

S: Well, it seems that I have ---

M: (crying) No no no no no no no no no no no no no...

(lights out)

(end)

No comments: