February 19, 2007

A Play A Day #312

New! Fun! Bite-Size!


Cast:
Cedric
Bill

Setting: Bare stage


(Lights up on Bill, standing center stage, enter Cedric, excited)

Cedric: Hey, Bill! Check this out!! It's amazing!

(pulls small shiny object from his pocket)

Bill: Wow!

C: Cool, huh?

B: Yeah!

C: I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

B: I bet!

C: Just sitting there.

B: Yeah?

C: I had to buy one.

B: Sure.

C: I can't believe they finally are able to make them like this!

B: No kidding.

C: I mean it's, like, bite-sized or something.

B: Looks like it.

C: Go ahead try it out!

B: Really?

C: Yeah, yeah! Go ahead!

(stepping toward the audience)

C: I mean, there I was, and I had heard that they were working on something like this for a while, but I never thought they'd be able to pull it off.

(B is examining the object)

C: I mean, I wasn't expecting it anytime soon; at least not this decade. But, you know, there it was!

(B puts the object in his mouth, starts chewing)

C: And I know I probably should have waited; I mean, money isn't exactly weighting me down at the moment, and I'm sure it will be under one thousand bucks in just a couple months, but I couldn't resist.

(B swallows hard)

C: And, I just... well, I'm an early adopter of things like that... and I thought, "Wow! Here it is! The world's smallest large-screen TV!" A one inch screen! Absolutely portable. It's big-screen clarity wherever I want to go from now on!

(B is backing up at this time)

C: (turning around) With full surround sound, and... what'd you think, Bill? Pretty remarkable, huh?

B: (very nervous) I... I... thought... it... it looked like... a chocolate...

C: (laughing) No, brand-new, fun, miniature big-screen televison...

B: Yeah... not a chocolate.

C: (laughing more) No, definitely not a chocolate.

B: Right... ummm...

C: Here, give it back. I have to show the guys at Benny's.

B: Can I give it back... using the installment plan?

C: What?

B: I... uhhh... I, well... uhhh... I... (darts offstage)

C: (running after) Bill!

(lights out)

(end)

No comments: