February 26, 2007

A Play A Day #319

Liking Sports


Cast:
Kent
Clint

Setting: Bare stage


(Lights up, enter Kent and Clint, opposite sides of the stage, they walk until they are toe-to-toe.)

Kent: You first.

Clint: No. You.

K: (angry and slowly) I... love... you... so... much!

C: (pause) That didn't ring true for some reason.

K: I mean it!

C: I'm not convinced.

K: I LOVE you!

C: So easy for you to say.

K: It's so... true!

C: Liar.

K: You have to go now!

C: Do you mean that it's my turn, or that I have to leave?

K: (long pause) Yes.

C: Forget it.

K: Okay... it's your turn.

C: I love you so much more.

K: Bastard!

C: It's true!

K: You lie!

C: No!

K: Yes!

(long pause, they fume)

C: You know, none of this is believable.

K: It all sounds fake to me too.

C: What are we even saying?

K: I don't know any more.

C: It's like we deny our true selves.

K: We seem ready to understand each other.

C: Then something happens.

K: One of us says something.

C: Something the other doesn't like.

K: And we start to fight.

C: The words come so fast.

K: I mean just because you like baseball.

C: I do.

K: And I detest most organized sports.

C: Yes.

K: Doesn't mean we need to fight about it so personally.

C: Saying things that we will only regret.

K: Like we just did.

C: Like we just finished doing.

K: When we really meant to say something else.

C: Like all that agression comes from the darkness of denial.

K: Our inability to express our true feelings.

C: Because we fear societal sanction.

K: The angry words masking what we really want to say.

C: Keeping us violently repressed.

K: By our own worst fears.

C: Which are truly our fondest hopes.

K: To connect.

C: To connect.

(long pause)

K: I love you.

C: Yes. Baseball is a beautiful game.

(lights fade as they exit together)

(end)

No comments: