February 3, 2007

A Play A Day #296

Pants Off


Cast:
Mullen
Xavier

Setting: Bare stage


Mullen: (entering, spots Xavier) You must be Xavier. (extending hand) Mullen.

Xavier: (shaking hands) You don't have to tell me your name, everyone knows you, Mr. Itova!

M: Thanks... I wish that were true, and then I also wish it weren't.

X: Right.

M: Anyway, Xavier. I've been hearing a lot about you, young man. They say you've got what we need.

X: I hope so.

M: Alright. So first thing I'm going to want you to do is take off your pants.

X: What?

M: Take off your pants.

X: I take off my pants in this commercial?

M: No, no, of course not.

X: Ohh.

M: (pause) Okay, so take off your pants now.

X: But, I thought you said...

M: Take off our pants? I did.

X: But...

M: So, take off your pants.

X: I'm not sure I know...

M: How to take off your pants? Start by unbuckling that belt and then...

X: No, No... I mean, I know how to take off my pants, I meant...

M: Great, take them off then.

X: I meant, I'm not sure why...

M: You have to take off your pants? I don't know why.

X: Ummm... okay...

M: Just take them off.

X: But Mr. Itova...

M: Call me Mullen.

X: Mullen...

M: We're friends here.

X: Right.

M: And friends let friends take off their pants.

X: Okay... I mean... why?

M: Don't know. You're just supposed to take off your pants.

X: Did someone else tell you that I was supposed to take off my pants?

M: No, no... I'm in charge here.

X: So, you want me to...

M: Take off your pants.

X: To take off my pants...

M: Right, get them off.

X: Even though I don't take them off in the commercial?

M: Nope, not at all.

X: And you don't know why I have to take off my pants...

M: No, can't say as I do.

X: Even though you are directing this commercial?

M: Yes I am.

X: I'm really confused, Mr... uhh... Mullen.

M: Me too.

X: So maybe I should leave my pants on.

M: Oh no, you definitely need to take your pants off.

X: But why?

M: Ummmmm.... how about we try this differently?

X: Okay.

M: Okay.

X: (long pause) Uhhh... what are we...

M: Hey, Xavier.

X: Hi.

M: Take off your pants, please.

X: Wait, wait, wait... you said we should try this differently.

M: I did... I said "please."

X: Isn't this a commercial for frozen peas?

M: Yes. That's it.

X: So... why do I need to take my pants off?

M: You know I don't know the answer to that.

X: So, if there's no reason for me to take off my pants, maybe I should not take my pants off.

M: Maybe.

X: Okay.

M: Now, take off your pants.

X: No!

M: You won't take off your pants.

X: No, I'm keeping them on.

M: Weird.

X: What's weird about that. You said that I don't have to take them off for this commercial.

M: Right.

X: That you didn't know why I should take my pants off.

M: No idea.

X: So...

M: (long pause) You know what?

X: What?

M: Just remembered something.

X: What?

M: (calling off) Candy!

X: Candy?

M: Frozen peas. With Candy.

(In walks a gorgeous woman wearing a too-small bra, a tiny pair of thong panties, and stilleto heels)

M: Candy will be co-starring in this commercial.

X: Uhhh...

M: It wasn't that you were supposed to take your pants off at all...

X: Really?

M: That's why I was so confused. You weren't supposed to take your pants off.

X: Uhhh... okay...

M: Candy is supposed to take your pants off for you, once the camera starts rolling.

X: Ohhh....

(Candy starts walking toward Xavier)

X: Maybe I could help her?

(lights out as Candy starts to undo Xavier's belt, large smile starts breaking out on his face)

(end)

No comments: