November 28, 2006

A Play A Day #229

Missed A Day


Cast:
Bug
Tina

Setting: A sofa.


(lights up on Bug, sitting on his sofa, obvious horror on his face, enter Tina, dressed to go outside)

Tina: Hey, Bug! Let's go.

Bug: (looks at her forlornly, with great despair) I missed a day.

Tina: Great, I was outside, pounding on the door for about ten minutes...

Bug: But, I missed...

Tina: You're missing more, moping here. C'mon! Let's go!

Bug: I never miss a day.

Tina: Bug, it's time to go... we shoulda picked up Janice about a half hour ago.

Bug: Four years...

Tina: What are you talking about!?

Bug: Four years.... three months...

Tina: We need to get going, Bug. Now.

Bug: Four years... three months... and seventeen days...

Tina: Okay, and you missed... let's go.

Bug: Tina, are you, maybe, from the future?

Tina: What?!

Bug: Like just one day into the future?

Tina: No, we're actually in the past, as in past time when we should've left.

Bug: 'Cause if I skipped the day because I fell into a wormhole or something, then that wouldn't really count.

Tina: It's today, yesterday was yesterday, it's time, c'mon!

Bug: Yesterday wasn't two days ago?

Tina: No, damnit!

Bug: It won't matter...

Tina: Bug. Listen...

Bug: It won't matter, Tina.

Tina: It's gonna matter to Janice, and Tim, and Kayt, and...

Bug: Nothing matters anymore.

Tina: Shut up, Bug; get your stuff on.

Bug: The world will end very soon.

Tina: Stop it! It's time to go!

Bug: You don't understand what I'm saying do you, Tina?

Tina: No, and I don't care. The snow is fresh; we gotta hit the slopes.

Bug: Because I failed to count all the light bulbs in my house yesterday, it will lead to a series of events that will end my life and the lives of... others.

Tina: Bug, you are obsessive-compulsive; you know that. Your fears are irrational. Even you say so.

Bug: But, I saw it, in my head... I saw what happens if I miss a day.

Tina: You are hopping in your van and driving us to the mountain; that's what's gonna happen. I mean you don't even know if you really missed a day.

Bug: I know, Tina. I was counting them this morning, and I realized that I didn't yesterday.

Tina: Okay, Bug, nothing's going to happen. Let's go, and we'll prove it to you. C'mon.

Bug: No... I...

Tina: Janice told me her friend from Decklin is gonna be there today...

Bug: Cynthia?

Tina: Yep... that's the one.

Bug: Cynthia's gonna be there?

Tina: That's what Janice says.

Bug: Okay... but I'm not going to be able to relax until I'm safe back here.

Tina: Maybe with Cynthia?

Bug: Yeah... that would be great.

Tina: Then let's go!

(Bug gets up, Tina grabs him by the arm and leads him hurriedly from the stage, lights start fading)

Bug: (complaining about her pulling on him) Okay, okay...

Tina: Well, we've wasted enough time here; we gotta hurry, Bug! Everyone else is gonna be pissed we're late. Get dressed, toss your skis in the van, and we'll floor it. For Cynthia, Bug... for Cynthia.

(lights out)

(end)

No comments: