September 28, 2006

A Play A Day #168

Denial / Denial


Cast:
Lang
Ava

Setting: A table in a deli. Lang sits drinking a coffee and picking at a sandwich. Ava comes in and quickly moves toward him; Lang notices gets up and gives her a big hug and a kiss on the top of her head.


Lang: (still hugging her) Ava! Ava... Thanks for coming so quickly!

Ava: Of course, of course, of course my dear... why wouldn't I?

Lang: (they separate and sit down) Well, I'm always needing your help with so much...

Ava: Hey, I'm here for you... We made this committment to be there for each other...

Lang: I know, I know, it's just seems like you're pulling most of the weight, most of the time.

Ava: Is that a fat joke? Ha! Just kidding. (grabbing his hands in hers) Lang, listen: You're going through a rough patch right now. You'll pull through. If I can help you, then I will.

Lang: (kissing her fingers) I know, you're the best... how did I get so lucky?

Ava: Keep kissing my fingers and you're going to get quite lucky, right here, right now.

Lang: Probably not the best idea.

Ava: Not the best idea, but certainly a nice thought.

Lang: Ava, that's kind of why I need to talk to you.

Ava: Yes?

Lang: Something's come up, and I just can't hide it any more.

Ava: Like, I said, keep kissing my fingers and I'll be happy to help you with whatever's come up.

Lang: Ohh... stop. I'm serious.

Ava: Sorry, it was too easy.

Lang: Like you?

Ava: Ohhh... Now who's being sooo serious?

Lang: Alright, alright... It is though.

Ava: Serious?

Lang: Big time serious.

Ava: What is it?

Lang: Well, we've been together a long time, and it's been great. I mean, you're just the greatest person for me. So kind and caring, and I really feel like I don't deserve you and...

Ava: (a little nervously) You're dying or something?

Lang: No, no... I... ohhh this is really hard for me to say.

Ava: (more nervously) Maybe... uhhh... maybe you just shouldn't say it?

Lang: I need to. It's not fair to you. I can't just keep it in any longer. It's not fair to either one of us. I need to let it out, or it's going to kill me.

Ava: (quite concerned now) Ummmm.... Lang? What... What's going on? What is it?

Lang: (long pause, then this is said with grave difficulty and strain in his voice) Ava... I... well... I'm... gay. (he starts crying out of relief and fear)

Ava: Wha... Lang? Lang? You're... gay? Gay? Like homosexual-gay?

Lang: (in tears and shaking) Do I look happy-gay to you?

Ava: I can't believe this... all these years... you've been keeping this from me for all these years?

Lang: I was in denial... I didn't want it to be true, but it is. It's true. It's who I am. I'm gay.

Ava: I feel like our time together has just been... ummm... dishonest?

Lang: I know, I know, I know, I'm sorry, I'm sor...

Ava: You just didn't know? Didn't want to know? So you kept up this charade?

Lang: Ava, I'm telling you now; so we can start the healing. I will make it up to you. I will.

Ava: How?

Lang: I don't know yet, but let's figure something out...

Ava: This is going to mean a lot of changes for us.

Lang: We'll get through it.

Ava: Wow... I can't lie to you, Lang... this... this one hurts.

Lang: I wish it didn't; I really do.

Ava: (pause) Does Brian know?

Lang: I haven't told him yet. I don't know if I can.

Ava: Lang! You have to! You've been married to him for six years, and you haven't told him you're gay?

Lang: I know, I know. It's not right.

Ava: No, it's not! You have to tell him right away!

Lang: But what's it going to do to our marriage?

Ava: You have to take the risk, Lang. You can't stay married to him based on a lie.

Lang: What do I say to him?

Ava: How about, "Brian, sweetheart, I'm gay."

Lang: You make it seem so easy.

Ava: Listen, you did it with me; you can take this step with Brian too.

Lang: What if he freaks out; he's such a sissy.

Ava: He's strong on the inside. He just has a flamboyant personality. He's naturally going to be upset at first, but he loves you; he's your husband. He'll work through it.

Lang: Yeah.... maybe... I just don't want to crush him.

Ava: You won't.

Lang: He's so sensitive... you know, sometimes I wonder if he might be a little bit gay too.

Ava: I don't know. I don't know him as well as you do.

Lang: This is just so hard.

Ava: You're going to do it, Lang. You did it for me. It's not going to be easy, but we'll figure out how to go on from here. You have to do as much for Brian.

Lang: (picks up her hands again, and starts kissing them) Thank you, Ava! Thank you so much. You're the best friend a newly-gay man can have.

(lights start fading)

Ava: You know this still turns my crank, even though you're gay... we'll definitely live through this just fine.

(lights out)

(end)

No comments: