Medical science has offered no definitive reason, though I paid the bastards enough (grrr sound, grrr sound), but I will venture a few guesses as to why I cannot stop listening to The Hold Steady.
1. The Hold Steady have laced their music with "eargluons" - subatomic music particles emitted from speakers which stick to your auditory passages and itch like hell unless vibrated at precisely the correct holdsteady frequency.
2. Nothing else to do because my friends are all dying or already dead.
3. Makes me feel good about my awkward physicality to listen to a band whose members are all uniformly uglier than me.
4. I'm trying to make The White Stripes jealous so Jack and Meg will play my birthday party.
5. Desperately hoping they'll eventually cover that awesome "Christmas Shoes" song.
6. I got bored when I didn't have a band, and I still don't, so I listen to one instead. It helps a little - now I'm bored but happy.
7. Presently unaware that any other music has ever been crafted by the human species.
8. I'm too jittery. Need constant exposure to learn how to Hold Steady.
9. I'm sure, like everything else in the Minneapolis / St. Paul metropolitan area, I get my name dropped in at least one of their songs. Must keep listening to hear it.
10. Also the name of my favorite hairspray.
11. Makes me think of beef jerky and cocaine. I love beef jerky and cocaine!